16 September 2012

Avalon Collector's Circle

Many of us have lovely objects of art stashed away in our inventories, and they rarely get the chance to see the light of day. I extend thanks to Rowan Derryth for giving me the opportunity to share some of mine at an Avalon Collector's Circle exhibition at Avalon Art District Exhibition Hall.

The exhibition opens today, and we’ll have a little opening reception at 2 pm slt, so please stop by to join us. Featured artists include Rachel Breaker, Tyrehl Byk, Moriko Inshan, claudia222 Jewell, Ginger Lorakeet, Cherry Manga, Sextan Shepherd, Light Waves & Unreal McCoy, William Weaver and Gorgeous Yongho.

In addition to what’s on display, I toyed with setting out things by AM Radio, Soror Nishi, Scottius Polke (go right next door to see some of his things), Glyph Graves, Bryn Oh and others, but there’s only so much space in the gallery!

Sextan Shepherd’s pieces were part of his full-sim installation called Nemo, which began construction in March 2010 and closed all too soon in October of the same year. The two pieces in this exhibition were from the underground city and were found in Captain Nemo’s workshop. The textures on the wall to the back are also Sextan's. You can see some machinima I created of Nemo here.

Tyrehl Byk is a master of particles, and his open air performances aren’t to be missed. Click on this artwork, Aurora, to turn it on.

The glorious big black cat, created by Unreal McCoy and Light Waves of Rezzable, was part of the extraordinary full-sim installation Greenies, built in 2007. I have tremendously fond memories of that place.

Cherry Manga's delightful piece, Advice from a Caterpillar black and white, I believe I collected at a Mysterious Wave installation a couple years ago.

claudia222 Jewell’s piece was a gift to me a couple months ago, and was then also included as a gift to everyone at the closing of spirit at Art Screamer just a week ago (instant depreciation haha!). I had already set it out in the exhibition here, and I love its many levels of detail.

William Weaver has created a revolution in light among Second Life photographers, and I selected three images that are all quite different. The middle one is of me, taken recently at his exhibition at Art India Gallery.

Another photographer whose work I greatly admire is Gorgeous Yongho, and she provided this image expressly for this exhibition. Probably more thought of as a fashion photographer, she has a keen eye for portraiture and composition.

Moriko Inshan creates all sorts of lovely objects, and I smiled when I came across her simple but beautiful three-dimensional pieces. Of this one, she “Three-dimensional piece embellished with flexi-banners, cat silhouette and sculpted feed sacks. Post-processing of original photo, captured at Zaara sim, accomplished through hand blending, lighting and raised filter techniques.”

Ginger Lorakeet’s art invites you to become part of the art object, and this piece is among my favorite of hers. It’s simple yet delightful. (Sit on it and see what happens.)

And Rachel Breaker’s work is just plain crazy. I love things that make me laugh. I'm not sure everyone would consider this “art”—but to me everything in Second Life is art.

Enjoy. And thanks to PJ Trenton for the cool poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment